The Seven Sacraments of the Church may be grouped into three categories:
Sacraments of Initiation: Baptism, Confirmation, Communion (Eucharist)
Sacraments of Healing: Reconciliation and Anointing of the Sick
Sacraments of Commitment or Vocation: Marriage and Holy Orders
The Sacraments of Initiation complete:
- a journey of re-birth in Christ,
- a process of inclusion into a community of faith
At the age of 8/9, children complete their Initiation through the parish Sacramental Program covering the sacraments of Confirmation and First Communion and also Reconciliaiton.
This process commences each year and is in three sequential stages.
- Confirmation July-August.
- Reconciliation February-March (following year).
- Communion May-June (following year).
Families wishing to participate should note that acceptance into the Program requires:
- That the child is baptised;
- Parent attendance at the Sacramental Program Information Session (1 hr) – for parents who have not had a child participate in the program the previous two years;
- Attendance at the Parents’ Welcome and Information Meeting for each Sacrament;
- Attendance at Enrolment time and completion of documentation including -
Copy of Baptism Certificate
Donation to cover expenses
Signing up for Family Group Sessions
- Attendance at Family Group Sessions and Practices.
During the sacramental preparation time families are encourage to:
- Attend weekend Mass especially those with Children’s Liturgy of the Word/family focus;
- Participate in the special Sunday Rituals in the program.
The Catholic Community of North Harbour offers a preparation program linked to the Sacramental Program, for:
- children aged seven years and older who are not baptised and would like to receive the Sacrament of Baptism;
- children who have been baptised into another Christian denomination who wish to be received into the Catholic Church and participate in the Sacramental Program;
- children/young people/adults who have been baptised Catholic who may not have received all the sacraments;
- parents whose children have participated/are participating in the Sacramental Program and who may wish to become Catholic.
and 0408 866 521